“All mental processes are brain processes, and therefore all disorders of mental functioning are biological diseases. The brain is the organ of the mind. Where else could [mental illness] be if not in the brain?” – Eric Kandel, MD, a Nobel Prize laureate and professor of brain science at Columbia University.
- Australian Suicide Prevention Foundation
- Suicide Call Back Service – a free professional, national, 24/7 counselling service for anyone affected by suicide. Tel -1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline – 24 hours free call for Children and Adolescent: 1800 551 800
- Suicide: The Forever Decision by Paul G Quinnett, a psychologist who explores reasons for suicide and gives arguments for choosing life.
RESOURCES, INFORMATION AND MORE
- Head to Health – has more than 500 digital resources to support your wellbeing and mental health.
- Centre for Clinical Interventions – information and workbook modules for different types of problems
- Black Dog Institute – a world leader in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder. Check out the large range of factsheets .
- Beyond Blue – the national initiative to raise awareness of anxiety and depression, providing resources for recovery, management and resilience.
- Youth Beyond Blue – a dedicated site for youth. Information, resources and support for young people dealing with depression and/or anxiety.
- Reach Out – provides young people with the information, help, support, advice and connections they need to manage mental health difficulties
- PANDA – Post and Antenatal Depression Association Inc. National perinatal depression helpline 1300 726 306. PANDA fact sheets.
- Beacon – a portal to online applications for mental and physical disorders
- Centre for Clinical Interventions – information and workbook modules for different types of problems. Online or at home.
- The MindSpot Clinic – an online and telephone assessment and treatment service for Australian adults with anxiety disorders or depression.
- myCompass – an interactive self-help service that aims to promote resilience and wellbeing for all Australians. myCompass is a guide to good mental health – it points you in the right direction. You can track your moods, write about them and view information and tips. You can also choose to do one of the modules designed to help you manage mild to moderate stress, anxiety and depression.
- The MoodGym – an online cognitive behaviour therapy program for depression and anxiety
- e-couch – a self-help interactive program with modules for depression, generalised anxiety & worry, social anxiety, relationship breakdown, and loss & grief.
- This Way Up Clinic – a non profit initiative of St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney that provides online treatment, education and research in anxiety and depression.